Travel with Columbia/Barnard Hillel!
Each break (fall, winter, spring, and summer!), we offer a number of alternative breaks. Explore the United States and the world with peers from Columbia/Barnard, guided by Hillel professionals and expert guides. In the past, we’ve traveled to Israel, Poland, Hungary, Romania, Argentina, Houston, North Carolina, and more! See below to learn more about our previous trips!
- Fall break Trips:
- Road trip to Pittsburgh to reflect and learn one year after the shooting. Participants met with community leaders, volunteered around the city, and enjoyed Pittsburgh. It was a meaningful experience for all.
- “Staycation” in NYC as part of an LGBTQ-focused break. Students spent the weekend exploring LGBTQ landmarks around the city, attending a show and discussing how their Jewish and Queen identities intersect.
- Winter Break in Israel – click here for information about Birthright Israel
- Spring break trips:
- Argentina – This is a uniquely crafted experience tailored specifically for first-year students from Columbia & Barnard. During this Alternative Spring Break trip, participants will engage with the vibrant Jewish community and Argentine culture of Buenos Aires. Participants will learn about the challenges and opportunities facing the people of Buenos Aires through interactive site visits, exchanges with local leaders & peers, and meeting with Argentine social entrepreneurs and NGOs.
- DC – Students spent the first half of Spring Break in Washington, DC exploring the topic of reproductive rights through a Jewish lens! They meet with activists and organizational leaders to understand the history of reproductive rights, develop a toolkit for political activism, and enjoy the museums, monuments, and flavors of DC.
- Poland – ASB: Poland is an immersive travel experience focusing on the Jewish past, present, and future of Poland. In addition to educational sightseeing, the group will meet with local Jewish communities (in Warsaw, Wroclaw, and Krakow). All Columbia/Barnard undergrads who identify as Jewish are eligible to be a part of this select cohort.
- Spend the start of your summer on Birthright, and/or 8 weeks doing an internship with Columbia/Barnard Hillel’s Onward Israel cohort (email) Elan Kramer for information about Onward)