The Hillel Graduate Student Program, the oldest existing grad student program in the country, organizes events for Columbia and Jewish Theological Seminary graduate students. Regular programming includes monthly Friday night community dinners, trips to the theatre, sports events, club nights and “make your own sushi” evenings.
The Grad Student Council – open to any grad student – creates new programs and runs events.
We invite grad students to stop by and make the most of our wonderful building by spending time there. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
Hillel works closely with the graduate schools that have their own Jewish student groups (see below). We support them in developing programs for their specific school community as well as for all Jewish grad students on campus.
To receive our weekly announcements or sign up for one of our many special-interest listservs, just email email@example.com, and we’ll make sure you are added to the list!
Graduate Student Groups
- Teachers College Jewish Association (TCJA) – The Teachers College Jewish Association serves to nurture and encourage the existing Jewish community at Teachers College, to encourage and satisfy interests in Judaism (its heritage, culture, observances/rituals, philosophies, etc.) amongst the broader community, and to serve as an active and vital representative member of Jewish students and interests in the TC community. For more information, please email: TCJA@hillel.columbia.edu
- Medical College Jewish Association (MCJA) – The Medical Center Jewish Association is the Columbia University Medical Center affiliate of Hillel. We are a student-run organization that promotes Jewish awareness through social events for the holidays and also through perspectives in the health fields. Some of our events include Jewish bio-medical ethics series, Shabbat dinners at the Medical Center campus, holiday programming and mixers with other graduate and professional schools within Columbia and in New York. For more information, please email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jewish Students at SIPA– known as SICHA, our mission is to provide a strong voice at SIPA for the Jewish community. For more information, please email: email@example.com
- Jewish Social Work Caucus (JSWC)– aims to provide social, educational and cultural programming for students at CUSSW and the larger Columbia graduate student community. JSWC looks forward to collaborating with other Jewish student graduate groups at Columbia and is eager to be involved with Hillel’s tzedek/social justice programming in the Morningside Heights community and beyond. For more information, please email: JSWC@hillel.columbia.edu
- Jewish Law Student Association (JLSA)– The Jewish Law Students Association (JLSA) is a group whose purpose is to unite Jewish law students of all backgrounds for social, religious, and educational activities. We serve as a meeting point for social activities. We attend to Jewish student concerns in the Law School (classes missed due to holidays, for example). We are a resource for information about Judaism and Jewish activities in New York. We are a liaison to pro bono, public interest, and legal career optionswithin the Jewish community. For more information, please email:JLSA@columbia.edu
- Jewish Business Student Association (JBSA) aims to promote Jewish activities and culture within Columbia Business School with the goal of forming a long-lasting community among Jewish students. Events include Friday night dinners, Israel-oriented business events and speakers, and joint events with other Jewish grad groups. The JBSA also helps current students network with alumni to aid in the job search process. For more information, please email: JBSAfirstname.lastname@example.org